Here’s an easy and delicious recipe for homemade tomato sauce/ketchup. Make this and I promise you’ll never want to buy tomato sauce/ketchup in a plastic bottle again. It will keep in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to a week. It also freezes well.
- 4 cups ripe tomatoes (preferably organic and heirloom) chopped roughly
- 1/4 cup quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp fennel seeds
- splash of fresh orange juice
- Good crack of salt and pepper
- Put all ingredients in a small, heavy-based saucepan.
- Bring to the boil then turn down to a slow simmer.
- Simmer for about an hour, stirring every now and then, until all ingredients are soft and have reduced to the point where juices are beginning to go syrupy.
- Taste. Be warned, it will be hot! Adjust if necessary.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour into a sterilised, airtight jar.
Voila! You can serve this with just about anything ~ either hot or cold. You could also add chilli flakes to the mix during cooking if you like a bit more spice.
My children refer to this sauce as “GoFartToh”. I think it’s in tribute to my father who would exclaim loudly at the table, “Pass the dead dog!” or “Pass us the gofartoh”. Gawd knows where Dad got the expression from. Nonetheless, it’s now routinely used in our house ~ makes me smile every time I hear one of my kids use it.
Do you have any unique family expressions? Do you have a simple family recipe you’d like to share on Caro & Co?
Until next time…