Do your kids like pulses? Mine aren’t mad about them but last night ate their fill after devising and making this easy and tasty dish (with a little help). That’s their fibre intake taken care of for a day or so! I encourage you to give it a go with or without kids…
- 1 cup good quality lentils (Puy, black or blue)
- 1½ cups water
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 small Lebanese cucumbers, finely chopped
- 1 small Meyer lemon, finely chopped (including skin)
- Juice of the lemon
- Good swish of quality EVOO
- Good swish of quality red wine vinegar
- 150g of good quality feta cheese
- 1 large roasted beetroot, grated
- Large handful of sultanas
- Large handful of parsley, finely chopped
- Large handful of mint, finely chopped
- Rinse the lentils in water in a fine sieve/colander to remove any dust or impurities.
- Put into a saucepan with the water and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until soft.
- Drain, rinse under cold water and place into a large salad bowl.
- Add all the remaining ingredients ~ except the beetroot ~ and toss with your hands until well combined (your children will enjoy this bit!).
- Taste and adjust. For example, if it’s a little too tart, add a sprinkle of raw sugar.
- Arrange the grated beetroot on top and serve immediately.
We served the salad with a roasted beef fillet, creamy mashed potatoes and a glass of Pinot Noir (water for the kids of course!)