Lavender Bay is a funky little suburb tucked in under the north western side of Sydney’s iconic Harbour Bridge. It’s bounded by Milsons Point and McMahons Point which has a thriving cafe, restaurant and bookshop scene. It’s a short (but steep) 10 minute walk up the road to the business hub of North Sydney. Walking tracks also abound which are lined with some beautiful native plants.
Lavender Bay is just 3kms by road from the CBD but are separated by a small stretch of water across the harbour, only 900 metres wide. The views up and down the harbour are stunning and you’ll quite often find gaggles of photographers wandering the foreshore trying to capture the perfect photo.
Which is exactly what my son Angus and I did on Saturday; snapping away with a loan camera thanks to Canon Australia and their cool initiative ~ Canon Collective. I encourage you to check it out. Each of the photos (bar the Whiteley image) in this post were taken using a Canon 60D.
Interesting facts about Lavender Bay:
- Don Bradman, Australia’s most famous cricketer and artists Norman Lindsay and Brett Whiteley all lived for a period of time in Lavender Bay.
- It was named after George Lavender a boatswain on the prison hulk “Phoenix” which was moored off the foreshore for many years in the 1800s. Larrikin ex-convict William Blue, better known as Billy Blue also lived in Lavender Bay.
- Its most famous landmarks are Luna Park and North Sydney Olympic Pool.
- I would like to live there but this would involve winning Tattslotto; with average median prices for houses in the suburb sitting at around $3,000,000.
Angus and I drove down there in the spunky little Ford Eco Sport that we’ve been given to test run for six weeks. More on this ace little car at another time. However, I couldn’t resist and, ignoring all parking signs and warnings drove down to the very mouth of Luna Park and took a snap. Angus was mortified, several tourists bewildered and I was exultant that I managed to get as far as I did.
Do you have a favourite suburb in your city?
* This is NOT a sponsored post but it should be don’t you think? 😉